10 September 2017

Travel Story: Wine and Cheese: Paris

In France, I learned about wine and cheese. -
Walter Wager
Walking along the streets of Montmartre during a cold January evening, I wanted to get a cocktail. Every single cocktail bar was empty, it was seven in the evening I thought to myself, surely people are already drinking at this time in London, you know, hanging out inside Wetherspoons on a chilly winter evening with an expensive pint of beer. Most of the shops on the Parisian street were closed, as I walked past the cute boutiques, shops with dainty little patisseries and macarons displayed like exquisite jewelry and the kind of souvenir shop that you see in Leicester Square, selling overpriced postcards and "I love Paris" T-shirts. 

Then I saw a shop, with "Le Refuge des Fondus" highlighted in yellow contrasting against the bright red shop front. You can never miss it. Passing the elaborate carnivalesque décor that adorns the entrance, this place serves amazing cheese fondue and wine in baby bottles. Yes, BABY BOTTLES. You have to CLIMB over the table to sit down which is so much fun, but not so much fun when you have to climb back out to leave. Therefore you must surrender all claims to personal space. the menu is non-existence, you can simply choose between red or white wine, and cheese or meat fondue. €21/person for the food, including complimentary antipasti. 

In this tight space, I met an English couple from Brighton, who just fancied a trip to Paris and even gave me details for future jobs in digital media (I was studying at that time), which later we bumped into them in the Louvre museum. We have spoken to a French man who lived in England for his studies, discussing the difference between France and England. A group of Parisians who just wanted to have a good time, with a bottle of wine and cheese fondue, they didn't hesitate and gave me suggestions to local places in Paris instead of the tourist traps. Sometimes, it's the people that you encounter who makes your trip. Sometimes, simply wine and cheese is the answer to everything. 

Walk up to Montmartre is just a mere ten or fifteen minutes walk, walking around the area which is tightly packed with houses, they spiral around the mound underneath the sugary-white dome of the Sacré-Coeur. It was night time around 10 pm, slightly drunk, there were no thronging tourists around the area. I sat down on the steps just underneath Sacre-Coeur and stared at Paris. My eyes started to water, I simply just found this city beautiful. I love Paris.


Travelling, in my opinion, is best enjoyed without anything to worry about. Sometimes, it is better to travel simply, simply bring a few sets of clothes, passport and you're done, you know what, maybe even travel with a small bag, a small carry-on bag. Setting off to a place, smelling its air without any distractions. Why worry, when you can travel simply? Thanks to Travel Simply for a chance for me to write a piece of my own travel stories.

10 comments so far

  1. This is beautifully written and I just love all the pictures! Paris is amazing and so magical! I would have loved to go to that place and have wine from a bottle and amazing cheese and, What?! Walk over the table- that is so un -American!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to go to Paris. This place looks like it would be super interesting to visit and have a bottle of wine and cheese. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks like a dream! I want to go to Paris sooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Paris looks amazing! I hope I can't visit one day! Hehe! We have exactly the same name! :)

    xo, Chloe // http://funinthecloset.com/adventuring-in-seoul-south-korea/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg the wine out of the baby bottles kills me. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine that the wine wouldn't taste slightly of rubber?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are beautiful. Such a fun time! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wine has me obsessed and Paris looks like so much fun! Thanks for this useful post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Need to check it out when I visit next x

    Have a look at what i wore to the LFW:
    http://thelondonthing.co.uk/lfw-look-two-zalando/

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks. cat carry case

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Travelling In Pink © . Design by FCD.